Xampp: cross-platform(x) Apache + MariaDB + PHP + Perl. is a free open source cross-platform web server solution stack developed by Apache friends. a web development platform that allows you to create dynamic network applications locally on your computer.
Xampp offers a lot of functionality and ease of use such as:
- Running many websites locally on your computer with little or no cost
- Web development on a local server is faster since all information is processed locally
- It allows web development with no internet connection
- You can test, troubleshooting and redesign your site without affecting the actual website and successfully install it on the real server
How To Install Xampp on Your Computer
- Go to Apache friends. download the latest version of xampp.
- Open the downloaded file to begin the installation process.
Note: you might get a warning about anti-virus interfering with the installation and if you wish to continue? click YES to continue. Depending on your computer settings, you might as well see a prompt Windows User Access Control (UAC). select the private home network and click Next to start the installation.
- On the next screen, will be a list of components to install with xampp by default, But here, we’re only concerned with installing WordPress on xampp. so select Apache, Mysql, PHP, and PhpMyAdmin. click on Next button to continue.
- On the installation folder, select the folder to install xampp. you should install it in the default folder c:\xampp.
- Uncheck Learn More About Bitnami For Xampp. click on next to begin xampp installation.
- After installing, click on finish to open xampp control panel.
- Choose your language of choice and click save to proceed.
- On the xampp control panel, click start on Apache and Mysql, this will change to green or something to indicate they are running.
To confirm if xampp is properly installed on your computer, type localhost in your web browser address. It should display xampp dashboard as shown below.
How to Install WordPress on Xampp
- Go to wordpress.org. download the latest version of WordPress.
- In xampp/htdocs folder create a new folder and name it wdpress or use whatever name you like.
- Unzip the downloaded WordPress file into the xampp/htdocs/wdpress folder.
You will need to create a Mysql Database for WordPress on the xampp local server. To do this:
- Go to xampp control panel and click on MySQL Admin as shown below.
- This will bring you to the PHPMyAdmin page, click on databases at the top left position of the page.
- Create the database for your WordPress, type in ‘wdpress’ or whatever you named your WordPress folder and click on the create button to proceed.
- After creating the database go to your web browser address and enter localhost/wdpress or localhost/yourfoldername, to get access to WordPress.
- This will prompt WordPress language selection menu. Choose your preferred language and click continue.
- Enter the name of your database, which is wdpress in this example.
- For username, type in root.
- And for password, leave it empty. click submit to continue with the installation.
- Click on Run the Installation button, on the next screen, put in the site title of your choice.
- Set a Username for the Admin user.
- For randomly generated WordPress password, change it to your password of choice you can remember.
- Enter your email address in the email box. Note that no email will be sent to you on a local server.
- Click on install WordPress to complete WordPress installation and you will be automatically logged into the site’s WordPress Dashboard.
There you have it, you have successfully installed WordPress locally on your computer. You can now go ahead to explore its features, plugins, and themes.
Note: You must always remember to keep PHP and MySQL running on xampp control panel when using WordPress on xampp localhost.